CONVERSATIONAL LATIN FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
JUNE 28 - JULY 11, 2020 (MON. - FRI.)
You have been accepted to participate in Living Latin Online High School, an intensive online summer Latin program organized by the Paideia Institute for Humanistic Study, Inc. We are very much looking forward to working with you to help you develop your knowledge of Latin as we get to know you virtually.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR YOUR ONLINE EXPERIENCE
The course will run from June 29th - July 10th, Monday to Friday for a total of twenty sessions. Here is an overview of the program schedule:
- Daily, you will meet in a small group with a Paideia faculty member for intensive reading and discussion of the set text. You will also devote some time outside of class to read and prepare your texts.
- Three times per week you will have the opportunity to converse in Latin with people in your group or other groups in our virtual sub arboribus sessions.
- Once a week, a faculty member will lead a virtual site visit, which will examine a archaeological site or location that is relevant to the readings and the theme.
- In addition to the scheduled classes, the program will offer optional online guest or faculty lectures in Latin or English on topics related to the course theme. These lectures will be viewed as webinars and followed by online discussion in English.
Small groups will be formed based on level of Latin preparation, time zone, and availability during the time of the program. Please be sure to indicate this information using the scheduling button below so that we can place you in the appropriate section.
BOOKS AND COURSE MATERIALS
The course will utilize readings from the following textbooks. We understand that getting books delivered may be difficult right now. We will ensure that all participants have access to PDF’s of any material used.
- Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, Volumes 1 and 2, but Hans Ørberg – This well known textbook teaches Latin via the “natural method” while introducing students to Roman history and society.
- Paideia’s new Living Latin graded reading. This forthcoming textbook from the Paideia Institute is a graded reader that teaches Latin in a modern setting.
- Instructors will make reference to Latin grammar concepts covered in Marianthe Colakis’ Excelability in Advanced Latin.
You will get more out of Living Latin Online if you arrive with a strong foundation in Latin grammar and a strong active vocabulary. Below are some great resources for gaining the skills you need to enjoy the literature we will be reading.
- A broad vocabulary is essential for enjoying Latin texts. The Latin Vocabulary List available through Dickinson College is an excellent resource for learning the words that most frequently occur in Latin literature. Challenge yourself to know as many of these words as possible English --> Latin before the program starts. If you like flash cards, they are available via as a digital Quizlet set here, but many people find paper flashcards better for learning.
PAYMENT AND FORMS
Please click the button below to confirm your personal information and enroll in the program by June 1st.
The cost of this program is $500. Payment is due by June 1st. If you have already paid the deposit for Living Latin in Rome, you may apply your $500 deposit toward your fee.
ONLINE PAYMENT BY CREDIT CARD OR ACH TRANSFER
Please note that payment by credit card includes a 3% convenience fee.