Risks of Travel
- Traveling during the COVID-19 pandemic is a risk. The Paideia Institute will do its best to keep participants safe while traveling. Nonetheless, all Paideia Travel Program participants must understand that they may be exposed to COVID-19. Participants agree to assume this risk, and release the Paideia Institute from any liability for such harms or additional expenses, unless that harm is caused by the Paideia Institute’s gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
Requirements for Travel
- Each country has specific requirements and documents needed for entry and for movement within the country, including to sites that are part of the program itinerary. The US likewise has requirements for return to the US.
- It is the responsibility of program participants to be aware of and comply with requirements on entry to the program country, movement within the program country, and return to the US. Failure to follow these requirements or obtain the documents necessary to satisfy these requirements may result in the participant being unable to participate in the program and/or other disruption to travel. The Paideia Institute is not responsible for disruption to the program and/or travel that stems from a participant’s inability to meet the requirements or obtain the necessary documents.
- No refunds will be given if a program participant fails or is unable to meet the requirements to enter the program country, enter any location on the program itinerary, or return to the US. Travel insurance is recommended to cover trip interruption and/or medically imposed quarantine.
- Additional expenses incurred as the result of failure or inability to meet the requirements will be the responsibility of the program participant, except as indicated below.
Entry to Program Country, Movement within Program Country, Return to US
- Most Paideia Travel Programs take place in Italy, France, and Greece. For summaries of requirements to enter these countries and move within these countries, consult the following websites:
- For a summary of requirements to reenter the US at the end of the tour, consult the CDC’s requirements at their website:
If your flight schedule includes transit through another country, consult the transit requirements for that country.
- At the following website, you may enter your flight schedule to see a list of transit requirements: Sherpa Travel Restrictions
Life on Paideia Programs
- In addition to the entry requirements discussed above, the Paideia Institute will communicate with program participants any specific health regulations required by specific public spaces, museums and archaeological sites, public transportation, program bus operators, restaurants, and any other locations visited by the program. Participants are expected to follow these regulations.
- The Paideia Institute can arrange for COVID-19 testing for anyone who wants or needs to be tested, at the expense of the person being tested.
In Case of a Confirmed Case of COVID-19
- If a Travel Program participant tests positive for COVID-19 while on program, the participant will be required to self-isolate per local health authority requirements.
- The Paideia Institute can book a room in a local hotel with rooms set aside for COVID-19 self-isolation. The cost of this additional lodging will be the responsibility of the participant.
- If the Travel Program participant required to self-isolate is a minor, a parent/guardian is allowed to come stay near their child, though some local health authorities rules may not permit the adult to stay in the same living quarters.
- The Paideia Institute will facilitate communication between the Travel Program participant and their family and with local health authorities.
- For any self-isolation that overlaps with the dates of the tour, the Paideia Institute will cover the cost of any meals already paid for as part of the tour package.
- If the self-isolation period ends before the end of the Travel Program, the Paideia Institute will arrange for the Travel Program participant to rejoin the Program.
- No refunds will be issued for unused portions of the Travel Program and the Paideia Institute will not cover any additional expenses apart from those described above. Travel Insurance is recommended to cover trip interruption and medically imposed quarantine or self-isolation.
[Updated 5 October 2022]