An Intensive Latin Summer Program for Anthem Prep Students
June 7th - July 30th, 2021
We are excited that you have chosen to participate in Living Latin Online, an intensive online summer Latin program organized by the Paideia Institute for Humanistic Study, Inc. for Anthem Preparatory Academy Latin students. We are very much looking forward to working with you to help you develop your knowledge of Latin as you prepare for the coming school year and your travels abroad next summer.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR YOUR ONLINE EXPERIENCE
The course will meet twice per week for eight weeks for a total of 16 sessions. Here is an overview of the program schedule:
- In most sessions, you will meet in a small group with a Paideia faculty member for intensive reading and discussion of readings from the program textbook. You will need to set aside some time outside of class to read and prepare your texts--approximately one hour per week to practice reading and writing Latin.
- These sessions will include spoken Latin activities and readings from the textbook. Your instructor may occasionally also include some passages from ancient authors.
- Small groups will be formed based on level of Latin preparation and availability during the time of the program. Please be sure to indicate this information using the scheduling button below so that we can place you in the appropriate section.
BOOKS AND COURSE MATERIALS
- The program will utilize the Paideia Institute's forthcoming Living Latin online curriculum. This curriculum includes a Latin novel set in the modern city of Rome and animated videos teaching Latin grammar. Digital access to the curriculum is included in the price of tuition.
- While taking the course, students may also enjoy studying Latin with the Duolingo Latin course, also developed by the Paideia Institute.
You will get more out of Living Latin Online if you arrive with a strong foundation in Latin grammar and a strong active vocabulary. Below are some great resources for gaining the skills you need to enjoy the literature we will be reading.
A broad vocabulary is essential for enjoying Latin texts. The Latin Vocabulary List available through Dickinson College is an excellent resource for learning the words that most frequently occur in Latin literature. Challenge yourself to know as many of these words as possible English --> Latin before the program starts. If you like flash cards, they are available as a digital Quizlet set here, but many people find paper flashcards better for learning.
PAYMENT AND FORMS
Please click the button below to confirm your personal information and enroll in the program by May 28th, 2021.
The cost of this program is $300. Payment is due by May 28th, 2021.
ONLINE PAYMENT BY CREDIT CARD OR ACH TRANSFER
Please note that payment by credit card includes a 3% convenience fee.