Expanding Access to Latin and Greek
The Paideia Institute partners with universities, schools, and community organizations to offer introductory Latin classes for elementary and middle school students. Our textbook, Aequora: Teaching Literacy with Latin, introduces the basics of Latin vocabulary and grammar, Roman culture and mythology, and connections between Latin, English, and Spanish, all through games and activities designed to show students that learning Latin is fun! Aequora is shaped by a belief that everyone should have access to Latin and by a vision of Classics as an inclusive, diverse, and socially engaged field. To learn more, read the Eidolon article introducing Aequora and visit our Aequora FAQ webpage.
There are currently over thirty Aequora sites around the United States. The Paideia Institute develops sites by working with:
- Public schools seeking to incorporate Latin in the school day curriculum.
- Universities and high schools seeking to create service-learning opportunities in Classics.
- After-school enrichment programs serving at-risk youth.
- Latin students who want to make a difference by volunteering to teach in their communities.
To support Aequora, please click on the button below.
Current sitesFollow the links below to learn more about some of our currently active Aequora sites:
- Aequora at Mott Hall II
- Aequora at Corpus Christi School
- Aequora at PS 198
- Aequora at East Harlem School
- Aequora at the Sisulu-Walker Charter School
- Aequora at Williamsburg Charter School
- Aequora at Chester Addison Community Center
- Aequora at Uniondale Public Library
- Aequora at Don Bosco Center
- Aequora at the Bement School
- Aequora at Harriet Beecher Stowe Elementary
- Aequora at Ashland Elementary
- Aequora at Ray Miller Elementary
- Aequora at Lakewood Elementary Y Club
- Aequora at Cornerstone Elementary
- Aequora at Oxford Intermediate School
- Aequora at Crocker College Prep
- Aequora at Nyansa Classical Community
- Aequora at the Southern Utah Success Academy
- Aequora at Grenoble Public School